Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Welcome Kissa Starling

1: Thank you so much for being here, Kissa. First up is the obligatory question. When did you first begin writing?

A.I believe I’ve written, in some form or another, all of my life. I always did well in school writing stories especially if I could insert my wild imagination into them. I didn’t write with the intent to publish until a few years ago when I happened upon a writing contest.


2: What inspired you to write?
A.I love putting my thoughts on paper. The thought of other people, all over the world, reading my work is amazing to me. I have a pretty demanding muse and she incites me to stay really busy.

3: What do you like the most and least about writing?
A.Hmmm, I absolutely love researching. I often spend too much time browsing my subject when I should be writing. I love getting emails from readers who tell me what they thought about my stories. I’m an impatient person and I don’t always like waiting. Waiting for word on a submission…waiting before I edit stories….waiting for release days…you get the point! haha



4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing?
A.I enjoy spending time with my family. We play a lot of cards and board games. We watch a lot of movies and have our favorite television shows. Just on my own I do yoga, walk, meditate and oh yeah, I write. There’s no other way to get this stuff out of my head.



5: Which authors do you like to read?
A.I like a variety of authors and genres. My favorite book is Gone With the Wind. I used to be hooked on V.C. Andrews when I was younger. I read Nora Roberts once in a while but my tastes have turned more to erotic romance lately. I love Anne Rice’s Sleeping Beauty series.



6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?
A.Pet Peeve: people who don’t do what they say they’re going to do.



7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.
A.Right now I have several short stories with Red Rose Publishing. Last year I began the Lifestyle Series and I’ve just submitted book four, Chalan’s Story. Book three should be published in the next few months. This series focuses on the reality of BDSM relationships. You can find out more at www.redrosepublishing.com



8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?
A.Never give up. Rejections are par for the course. My favorite saying is revamp and resubmit. You never know when your story will hit the right editor, reader, etc.



9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?
A. I’ve never based a character on a real person per say but I do people watch a lot. I pick up gestures, dialects and even characteristics from people and then use some of those to mold my fictional characters.




10: Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?
A. I get ideas from life. The news, the paper, accounts from friends and family all play a part in what inspires me to think of a beginning. It’s all imagination from there on.

11: What are you currently working on?
A. I’m working on a short fetish story and my first full length novel right now. Wish me luck on both.



12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
A. I have a yahoo group where I post freebies, information about contests and upcoming releases as they happen. Here’s the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kissaskarmakorner/join
I’d love visitors to learn more about me at my website:

www.kissastarling.com

It’s been fun! Thanks.



Cracker Cowgirl

A lesbian historical
Excerpt:

“I assume you’re a runner?”

“Yes, sir. I am.”

Halley had almost forgotten she was impersonating a man. Luckily the woman didn’t notice.

“What’s that?” The young girl pointed to Halley’s side. There was no time to hush her fears.

“I won’t apologize fer nothing either, sir. That Massa Kane is an evil sort. Beds with little girls and laughs when they get with child. I know that last part from experience. Beats men and women alike. Guess that’s somethin’ you know a bit about.” The slaves eyes rested on the whip.

“How old are ya, Seginta?”

“Nineteen. I ‘spect you’ll be taking me back to Greenway?”

“I don’t beat people with my whips. These are for herding cows. What’s Greenway anyway?”

“That be the name of the plantation I’s running from. It’s where Massa Kane broods his devil ways.”

Horses galloped towards them from way off in the distance. Men’s voices filled the air.

“Lay down.” Halley surprised even herself at how demanding the words came out. She flicked the whip towards the girl hoping the sound would terrify her enough to lay quiet.

“Are ya gonna kill me dead right here?” The pleading look tore at her heart. This was no time for explanations. “Do it- now!”

Seginta lay down and Halley shoved dead debris and dirt over her. Then she ran back to mount her horse. Of course the other men heard the shots and they’d wonder what she shot at.

“Giddyup.” Her heels dug into the mare’s sides urging her to move quicker.

“I’m here. It’s me, Hale Richardson. Dang ole alligators.”

The men formed a circle around her with their own horses very interested in the story from the newcomer.

“What happened? Did you catch one of those no good thieving scoundrels?”

Lewis rode up last and pulled the reins tight to his chest. “Are you okay, Richardson? I never shoulda’ left you alone on your first night.”

“No, no, I’m fine. I saw one of those gators we talked about and nearly jumped out o’ my skin. I got one shot off but completely missed ‘em.”

One of the men touched his thumb and forefinger to his chin and rubbed back and forth.

“Maybe we should go look fer ‘em.”

“Oh no. I saw him swim away. I’m sure he’s gone by now.”

The man, who seemed to be in charge, spit between her horse’s front feet. “I reckon that’s enough herdin’ for today. Let’s get back home. I say we start early tomorrow evenin’. Widow Mabry lost a few cattle this week. She can’t afford to lose one much less two. Maybe we can catch the thievin’ rascals.”

Michael Anders rode up next to Halley. The rest of the men dispersed rather quick ready to get home to a warm bed and their families. Each one of them sacrificed something to be a part of the Cow Calvary.

“Why don’t I drop by your place and we can ride in together tomorrow night, Hale. Where do you live again?”

Halley clicked her heels enough for the mare to begin her walk. “I live close out by widow Mabry. I’ll meet you there.”

The mare, which was already walking, broke into a canter and they fled the scene. She didn’t dare look back to see who may be watching. In fact she rode clear to the bend in the road before she even came to a stop. No one was behind her. No lights shone, no voices and no horses. The coast seemed to be clear.

She waited a half hour more for good measure and then turned the mare around to head back to the swamp. They didn’t pass anyone on the return visit. This is crazy, she thought. I’m risking my own life to help a slave.

The night became darker close to the swamp. If Halley hadn’t killed her with a bullet a snake or gator was sure to have ended her life by now.

Sprinkles of rain plopped onto Halley’s forehead. Before long the water would pound down to the ground and into the swamp, forcing the critters to take refuge. Not a good time to be this far into the Everglades.

Please Lord, give me twenty minutes. I’ll find her, throw the troublemaker over the hind end of my horse, and run like the wind to get home before we’re both kilt.

Halley dismounted and hurried to the spot where she’d left Seginta. The young slave was unconscious and lay right where she’d been covered up. Her limp body was easy to pick up and haul a few feet to the mare where Halley struggled to throw her over- up high, close to the neck. It’d be better to keep her in front. That way she could lean over the silent body and move at a faster pace.

Decision made, Halley threw her own leg over the horse and immediately squeezed her legs together and yelled, “Giddup!”





Available now at Red Rose Publishing



http://redrosepublishing.com/bookstore/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=131&products_id=733

No comments: