Sunday, March 28, 2010

Welcome Angela Kay Austin

1: Thank you so much for being here, Angela. First up is the obligatory question. When did you first begin writing?


A. I know this probably sounds so ordinary, but I’ve written for as long as I can remember. Every since I was kid doodling in my pink and white diary about my secret crushes, I’ve written down my every thought, and then as I neared my teen years, I began to change those stories into articles for magazines.


2: What inspired you to write?

A. My inspiration came from everything around me. I was a pretty quiet child, and writing gave me a way to express myself. Reading gave me a way to explore, and I one day Judy Blume’s Are You There God It’s Me Margaret? Made me believe I could really try to merge the two or at least that might be fun to try. The character in her book spoke to me, and the way she told me the story inspired me to try to do the same.


3: What do you like the most and least about writing?

A. I like the creative process: determining the way that my characters will interact with each other, layering in the emotion, and hopefully bring my characters to life. By the time I finish a book, I’m in love with all of them. The research side of telling the story usually bogs me down: waiting on return phone calls, going to the library, or just surfing the net. Sometimes you’re researching such a small tedious fact, but you need it for the authenticity of the story.



4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing? Movies.

A. SyFy is my guilty vice. If not that, then you can find me in a movie theatre or a theatre house somewhere. I love everything creative. I also love live concerts, but I prefer to be up close, and personal vs. the huge venues.



5: Which authors do you like to read?

A. Jeanine Frost is my latest addiction, but so many are on my shelf: Charlaine Harris, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, J R Ward, and Karen Marie Moning. Outside of romance: Barbara Kingsoliver, Wally Lamb, Jane Green, Tony Morrison.



6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?

A. I guess that one of the reasons I love to write…is to connect with people around me, so if they read one of my books, I’d love them to send me an email, and let me know what they did or didn’t like about it. In this world of texting, and computers, I feel like one of the things people just don’t do that much of anymore is take the time to really know the next person. So, I love writing stories about people taking chances, and not giving up on possibilities.





7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.

A. Love’s Chance released on February 11th. It is a #1 bestseller for Red Rose Publishing.
Here’s a blurb: To pay back her parents and prevent the loss of their family business, Sinclair Mosley leaves her family and friends behind. Pennsylvania doesn’t welcome her with open arms, but Chance O’Malley does. At the risk of losing everything that brought her to Pennsylvania, including her family’s restaurant, Sinclair must decide if she’s willing to take a chance on love.

Readers can read an excerpt at my website, http://www.angelakayaustin.com/ and purchase from Red Rose Publishing.


8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?

A. My only tip would be not to give up. No matter what anyone else believes, if you feel in your heart that writing is what you want to do, then write. Write anything for anybody anytime. Just find a way to accomplish what you want. Each step you take gets you closer to your goal.



9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?

A. No, but I base them on things I’ve experiences, and things that my friends have experienced, as well as things I read or see. Physically, I might use celebrities to help me visualize my characters.





10: Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?
A. Love’s Chance is based in Pennsylvania where I lived for 3 years, and I based the characters on things I’d seen while there.



11: What are you currently working on?

A. My next piece is set in my hometown of Memphis, TN, and it’s based on a lot of the things that we see happening today in America: economy, job loss, loss of relations and families, etc. So many people have had to determine how to make a new beginning, and that is what this book is all about.



12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?

A. It took me about 15 years before I had my first book published, and Love’s Chance was not my first manuscript, so if there is something out there that someone is passionate about doing, I truly hope they do not give up on it. It’s wonderful to see a dream come true!



Here’s an excerpt from Love’s Chance    
Chance pulled out a chair beside Sinclair and sat. He leaned back and rested his arm across the back of her chair. His thigh touched hers underneath the table. “Your presentation was really good. I think you were the only one who actually kept to the time limit.” He ran a hand across his military hair cut. “How long was Raquel up there? Forty-five minutes.”

She could feel her cheeks redden due to his nearness. “I think so.”

Chance’s look fixed on something across the room; he shifted in his seat. His body leaned closer to hers. “So, when are you leaving? I’ll walk you to your car.”

She followed his stare. Raquel Dickinson, Bakery Category Manager, stalked in their direction. Her broad, angry movements destroyed the effect of the body hugging dress she wore. Reddish blonde hair flowed like untamed fire over bare shoulders.

Sinclair searched the room for her boss, Daniel Houser. She caught a glimpse of his back as he and his wife slipped out of the dining hall. As the breath escaped her, her shoulders slumped. Not so much as a pat on the back or job well done. For some reason, he spent as little time as possible around her. He wasn’t a bad guy, but he definitely was not the ‘go to’ guy in case of emergency. “It looks like I can leave at any time.”

Chance stood, and pulled out Sinclair’s chair. “Let’s go.”

Raquel reached their table before they could leave. “Calling it a night so early?”

He stood between the two women, and reached for Sinclair’s hand to help her stand. “Yeah Raquel it’s been a long night, and I’ve got a meeting in the morning.”

Raquel leaned around Chance. “Sinclair, do you mind if I walk out with the two of you?”

“Of course not. Are you ready?”

Chance released Sinclair’s hand, but walked closely behind. “Raquel, where did you park?”

She snaked her arm around his. “Next to your truck.”

“And Sinclair what about you?”

“I am on the other side of the lot. You really don’t have to walk me all of the way.”

“Sinclair, Chance and I would not dream of letting you walk to your car alone.” Raquel rubbed her hand up and down Chance’s arm, and looked up into his eyes. “Would we Chance?”

Chance stopped underneath the awning in front of the banquet hall. “Sinclair, wait here. Come on Raquel.” Chance and Raquel walked into the night toward their cars.

Sinclair didn’t wait; she headed in the direction of her car. Footsteps behind her caught her attention.

“Sinclair. Stop.” Chance’s voice was stern. He blocked her path. “I asked you to wait.”

“I know, but I didn’t want to be any trouble. You and Raquel…you seemed—”

“We seemed what? If you have a question, ask it.” His stare was amplified by his silence.

She had questions, but they didn’t matter. She shook her head from side to side. “No. It’s really none of my business.”

“None of your business?” Chance walked slow and close.

“No. You and Raquel have your own thing.”

“We do have a history, Sinclair, but—”

Sinclair stopped at her car door. “But it’s none of my business.”

Chance stepped in closer. “What if I want that to change?”

She took a step back. “It couldn’t”

He stepped back, and stared. “It couldn’t or you wouldn’t let it?”

“Chance, I can’t.” She turned to open her car door. “Thanks for walking me to my car.” She stepped back to open the door, for a moment her body fit into his. She slid into her car, and shut the door behind her.

No comments: