Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hello, Penny Estelle


1: Thank you so much for being here, Penny Estelle.
First up is the obligatory question. When did you first begin writing?

In my mid twenties, which was a VERY LONG TIME AGO, I started the historical, western romance.  I was sure it would be on the best seller list for years.  It took me five years to finish (no computers then) and I put it in a box, put it in my closet, and that is where it has lived for thirty years!

2: Sounds like a familiar tale. What inspired you to write?

I was an elementary school secretary for twenty-one years.  I dealt with kids of all ages when they would be sent to see the principal.  I loved dealing with children’s sense of humor, actions, excuses, stories, etc. I promised myself when I retired I was going to write stories about kids!    


3: We have something in common. I was a school secretary also. Can't write for children, though. I envy the authors who can. So, what do you like the most and least about writing?

When I finish a story and I send it to my grandson to read and I get an email that says, “This is awesome!”  What do I like least – easy – proofing it over and over and over again!

4: That does make it worthwhile, doesn't it. What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing?

Four-wheeling and exploring AZ back roads with my hubby, I like to gamble, movies, reading, and spending time with my grandkids.

5: Sounds like an adventure.  Which authors do you like to read?

Janet Evanovich, Nora Roberts, Fern Michaels, only to name a few.
6: I love those authors, too. What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?

Wow…this is a hard one!  I am retired, I am living on a fifty-four acre ranch, and I am doing exactly what I want to do – write.  I am living the dream!


7: Sounds like a great life. Tell me about your current  Muse novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.

MuseItUp Publishing picked up a short story called Billy Cooper’s Awesome Nightmare. 
It’s a Friday, and Billy Cooper has forty minutes left of school before his weekend starts.  He is watching the clock and thinking about his weekend when his seventh grade history teacher, Ms. Wickware, throws a wrench in his plans.  Every student will draw a piece of paper out of a basket and will then give an oral report on their subject on Monday. Billy is sure he can skate by with a quick search on the computer, but everything changes when he meets his fourteenth century subject in person!
It will be out in May, 2012. I am really excited for this story to be published because I think it’s funny and also educational.  I also am hoping to write a few more, along the same story line, and have a possible series.

I also have a website and blog address:

8: Sounds like a great story. Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?

I do and it’s a tip I have to keep telling myself – write, write, write, submit, and write some more!

9: Great advice. Something, I'm frequently asked - Do you base your characters on real-life people?

At this point, my stories have been for MG/YA.  I usually picture a person I know (grandkids, friends, jerks I have met) because it is easier for me to visualize and that keeps it flowing.


10: Another question I'm frequently asked - Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?

An Idea can come to me by hearing a simple phrase on TV or an action scene at the movies. 
What actually inspired me to write Billy Cooper’s Awesome Nightmare, was a news show.  It interviewed children of all ages asking if they knew, or had heard of, some of our famous legendary people or places...Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, Atlantis… and most had not! 

11: Amazing what strikes an idea. So, what are you currently working on?

I wrote a very short story called Sasq-what? a few years ago and it was printed in an ezine magazine.  I am expanding that story into a novella.

12. Sounds great. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
I am new to this game. I hope my stories bring a smile to those who read them and will want to see more!


Roseanne – thank you so much for having me on your blog!


5 comments:

gail roughton branan said...

Penny, I can relate. You on your 54 acre ranch and me on my 50 acres of woods. Just wish I was retired already too!

Penny Estelle said...

Ah - Gail.....it's the best!
Roseanne, thank you so much for having me today. You are always so kind!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Hi, Penny. And thank you, Ro, for having another interesting author on your blog. This is a fantastic way for me to get to know the Muse It Up crowd. Great interview.

I love Tucson, Penny.

Wendy said...

lovely interview Roseanne and Penny. There is something special about living on the land isn't there. Until recently my husband and I owned 80 acres in the Highlands of NSW and raised Murray Grey cattle. A great environment to write. I can relate about the legendary people too. (In my case Wilhelm Tell). Great fodder for a writer and it helps to keep the old stories alive for the new generations. I look forward to reading you Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare.

Pat McDermott said...

An elementary school secretary! You must have a wealth of ideas stored up, Penny. Tucked away on that ranch, you'll have plenty of time to write them out. I can't imagine living on so much land. I'm a city kid from Boston, and our single acre here in New Hampshire feels like the wilderness to me. Congrats on the coming release of Billy Cooper, and best of luck with those stories.