Wednesday, February 7, 2018

To Microwave or not - Call me old-fashioned

Recently I attended an online party for Pampered Chef – the representative posted a bowl to make popcorn in the microwave. Now, I love popcorn as well as the next person. Haven’t made it in a while, but every so often I get a taste for it.
Rca 0.7 Cu Ft Microwave, Black
I responded in the comment section that I didn’t have a microwave. The representative replied that it was time to get one.  I had to chuckled and responded I didn't like them. She didn't reply, so I hope I didn't offend her. 

We just recently moved, and I got rid of two microwaves. Yes, two. And I didn’t use either one. One sat on a small cabinet in my kitchen for several years, the other was stored in my attic. Why? It was given to me by my son to use in our motor home. I had it in there for, maybe, a couple of weeks. Never used it, and it took up valuable space that I could use for something else.

So, I got rid of them. It’s not that I don’t like microwaves, they have their place and they’re great for some people. Just not me. The only thing I ever used mine for was to reheat left overs, and even then, it wasn’t often. If I was heating leftovers, it was usually for both my husband and me. Took less time to do it on the stove.

When we moved, I looked around the kitchen and, although I have a lot of counter space, I couldn’t picture it anywhere. I prefer to keep my counters uncluttered. I have a Kitchen-aid mixer and toaster on one counter, and I’d really rather have them put away, but the mixer is too large to put in a cabinet an hubby uses the toaster every day. He has a hard-enough time pushing it back on the counter, let alone putting it in a cabinet, so it stays out.

Hence the reason I don’t have a microwave. Why keep something I never use. Besides, making popcorn the old-fashioned way, on top of the stove isn’t all that difficult and, in my opinion, just as quick.

Maybe there’s a little of Aunt Beatrice Lulu in me – she loved to cook and bake from scratch. You can find Aunt Beatrice Lulu in my Family Affair series – 

All in the Family



NothingVentured, Nothing Gained




1 comment:

Victoria Chatham said...

Never liked microwave ovens because the food never tasted quite right out of them. Loved All's Well that Ends Well.