Friday, February 16, 2018

Mother Nature Has a Sense of Humor

What else can it be with the weather warm one day and freezing cold the next. January was a bitter cold month. Not unusual to have sub zero temps for a few days in January. It is winter, after all. This year it started the last week in December with temps in the teens and went well into the first week in January.

Before we knew it, by the middle of January the temps were spring like – rising all the way to 55. Great time to take down the Christmas lights and I took advantage of it. Many people did.
February started out up and down, but mostly below average until the 9th and then a warm front moved in. Not that I’m complaining mind. I don’t much like those frigid temperatures. Never did. Not that I care much for the high heat of summer either. It could stay in the mid to upper 70s all year long and I’d be happy.

This week has been fairly mild with temps working their way up to 60 yesterday (2/15).  Today, it’s going to be 33, below average for this time of year. Next week promises more warmth with highs in the mid 60s. Unfortunately, it’s going to rain.
Can’t have everything, after all it is winter in Ohio. We’re lucky to have the warm temps. I’m hoping for an early spring, but I’m not holding my breath. We often have our biggest snow storms in March. Heck, we’ve even had them the last week of April. Yep, Mother Nature’s sense of humor again.  I guess no one told her Spring is supposed to begin March 20th.

Sometimes I wish I can go south for the winter, but then I think about it. I’m too family-oriented. I couldn’t be away from them for that long. I know they’d get along without me just fine, but… would I get along without them? Probably not. I like our get-togethers. Like having them close at hand in case I need them. I’ve been blessed they all live within 15/20 minutes the farthest and five minutes the closet. If I have an emergency, I know they’ll be here quickly. So call me a home-body.

Getting through winter hasn’t been too bad since we retired. If it gets bad, we just stay home. I’ve got a freezer stocked with meat as well as frozen (homemade) spaghetti sauce and chili. We certainly wouldn’t go hungry. I’m blessed to have my nephew plow our snow and they keep the streets pretty clean around here, so we’re really not snowbound – at least we haven’t been for a while.


So Mother Nature can keep her sense of humor. I’ll laugh right along with her. 

1 comment:

J.Q. Rose said...

I blame the changing temps on Mother Nature's temper tantrums. Hopefully she'll be good-natured enough to be kind and bring in an early spring for all those who have been suffering through such a cold, snowy winter. Enjoyed your "homey" post.