Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome, Floriana Hall


1: Thank you so much for being here, Floriana Hall. First up is the obligatory

question. When did you first begin writing?

I was inspired in church when I was 68 years old to write my first published
poem LOVE NEVER DIES, which won the Editor’s Choice Award. It literally popped into my head when the pastor was giving his homily. Since then, I have won many prizes. I have written over 700 poems and have been published all over the world. It seems that most poems just pop into my head at 5 AM and I have to put them on the computer right away so as not to forget them. It usually takes me 20 minutes to write a poem.

2: What inspired you to write?

After I wrote some poetry, my fifth grade teacher daughter asked me to write
my first nonfiction children’s book. She could not find an exciting true story
about The Great Depression that included history and prices. I typeset SMALL
CHANGE and it sold well. The printer passed away a few years ago. THE
ADVENTURES OF FLOSSIE, ROBBIE, AND JUNEY During The Great Depression took its place and is read in many schools and libraries. I speak to the students after the fifth grade teacher reads the book to them. I have over 200 letters from the students saying that they learned not to take life for granted after reading THE ADVENTURES.

3: What do you like the most and least about writing?

I love to write and have two new books in the making. Perhaps I am not too
fond of promotion because I cannot, at almost 83, travel far.

4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing?

I love to get together with family and enjoy our great-grandchildren
immensely. I just had a total hip replacement so I continue to go to water exercise five days a week to help rehabilitation. I have always loved swimming, too. I love to read but mostly autobiographies and memoirs. I used to hike and perhaps will be able to do that next year. I have twenty-five shields for the Hiking Spree. I belong to several clubs including the Red Hats.

5: Which authors do you like to read?

As I said, I prefer autobiographies and really enjoyed Kirk Douglas’ THE

RAGMAN’S SON and Lauren Bacall’s JUST ME.Also, I like Debbie McComber’s style of writing, Lisa Wingate and Maeve Binchy for fiction.

6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?

That I am a strong and positive person and always have been, even as a child growing up without enough food to eat or the necessities of life. I learned to work for what I have. My wonderful mother was a positive influence because she taught us morals, manners and cleanliness and to live each day to
our best ability with a smile on our faces.

7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.

FRANCIS, NOT THE SAINT is the true story of my family’s struggle to overcome
adversity during The Great Depression and World War II. Our dad left our wonderful mother many times for jobs and for other women. We found out he had three families when I was sixteen years old. He had trouble juggling all three and constantly begged our mother for forgiveness. She, being a staunch
Catholic, would never have asked for a divorce. Francis lied about everything and we all learned that he could not be trusted. However, none of his children
wanted to be like him, and are not. FRANCIS, NOT THE SAINT has been translated into Spanish, FRANCISO, NO EL SANTO.

8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?

It takes a while to have your name known so be patient and keep on writing. The first book may never be picked up by an agent or publishing company, so try to publish it yourself.

9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?

Most of my books are nonfiction. However, I do change names in most of my stories in order not to be sued.

10: Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?

After I wrote the first book, the children’s book, people asked me to write the continuation of the first book. Thus DADDY WAS A BAD BOY was published by Sterlinghouse Publishers.

11: What are you currently working on?

www.PublishAmerica.com asked me to write a new memoir, which will be titled

MISS FLOSSIE’S WORLD - Coping with Adversity During The Great Depression Then and the Recession Now. It should be on the market in 2011.

I have a trilogy of three young children’s books in the process, also. The trilogy is called SIMPLE PLEASURES.Twelve years ago, I founded and still coordinate THE POET’S NOOK a group of
local poets at the Cuyahoga Falls Library once a month. I am putting together the fifth book of poems by twenty poets titled POEMS OF BEAUTIFUL OHIO – Then and Now.

12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?

My husband and I have been married for 62 years on Dec. 31, 2010. We have five children, nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

My priorities in life are church, family, friends, and helping people. My motto is THE SECRET TO LIFE IS NOT TO TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

1 comment:

Linda Barnett-Johnson said...

I've read the book and I recommend it for anyone that loves memoirs. It's touching how the family overcame their father's unfaithfulness and his other families. Their mother was a strong and powerful role model for all women. I admire her mother and I admire Floriana, because she is the woman her mother would be proud of today. It shows all women that they don't have to let advertisities take over their lives. Instead, be strong and powerful women that you should be. Thanks Floriana for this wonderful book.

Linda Barnett-Johnson