Sunday, September 5, 2010

Welcome, Kat Holmes

First off I’d like to thank Roseanne Dowell for having me. I am truly thrilled to be here. I want to talk about receiving that first contract. When I submitted The Lighthouse to Muse It Hot Publishing, I had already submitted it elsewhere  but never heard anything back. I assumed they weren’t interested so when I’d heard about a new house opening. I subbed to them.

I wasn’t rejected, but neither was I accepted. The head of the house, Lea Schizas, told me certain things needed to be fixed and once I fixed them she’d give me a contract. I was recovering from emergency surgery and couldn’t fix these items right away. Over the next month, I worked on it.

I resubmitted it on the 3rd of May. The very next day  a contract was waiting for me. I was over the moon. I got up and danced all over the place. The Lighthouse had been contracted and given a release date. This was made even more special because my mom had recently signed a contract with them as well. Actually, not with Muse It Hot but the mainstream line Muse It Up. But it’s still the same house.

The chance to share this experience with her has been amazing. She’s my best friend in the whole world. I read her stuff as she’s writing and she reads mine. She’s been my chief cheerleader. It’s awesome to be writing for the same house together.

And speaking of Muse, the people there are just wonderful. Everyone, from the publisher, Lea, all the way to all the authors, are the most supportive and encouraging people you’d ever want to know. Delilah K. Stephens does amazing covers. I’m in awe of the beauty of her work and how quickly she cranks them out. She’s done two for me so far. Yes I got a second book contracted by Muse. It’s the first in a new series and is called Frozen.

The Lighthouse releases from Muse It Hot Publishing January 01, 2011. It’s an erotic tale of romance, mystery and suspense with a bit of murder and ghostly happenings thrown in. I hope you enjoy The Lighthouse.



The Lighthouse blurb
When Rachel Westmont inherits a lighthouse from an aunt she didn’t even know she had, she’s overjoyed. The news couldn’t have come at a better time. Newly divorced from a self-serving doctor, the change of scenery is just what she needs. So she packs up and leaves California for a little island off the coast of Maine.

Rachel falls in love with both Star Island and the beautiful lighthouse and cottage she’s inherited. But, odd things begin to happen right from the first day. Cold chills permeate the cottage and books fly off the shelves. And someone seems to be playing pranks on her.

But when the ante gets upped and someone tries to kill her, Rachel must turn to hunky local sheriff Craig Lewis for protection. Now bodies are turning up, people are getting hurt, and Rachel is starting to suspect her aunt didn’t die a natural death. Can Craig stop a killer from claiming Rachel as their next victim? A little help from a ghost may be in order.

Frozen Blurb
Brent Larkin came to Antarctica to study penguins. He didn’t come looking for either adventure or romance. But when a freak storm blows in and he loses his way, that’s exactly what he gets. Attacked by some bobbing lights, he suddenly finds himself in a wintry forest surrounded by men with swords pointed at him. The next thing he knows he’s in a dungeon and chained to the wall.

Awni is the queen of Artica, a land of eternal winter. The daughter of a god, Awni’s cursed to never know the touch of another. Her icy skin is death for anyone who dares to touch her flesh. But, when a mysterious stranger shows up in her lands, she finds herself drawn to him. Eager to learn about his world, she invites him to spend time with her only to be shocked when he touches her and doesn’t freeze to death.

But Artica is a land ruled by tradition. Though she longs to keep Brent there with her, the laws of the land force her to send him home. But without him, both she and the land begin to suffer. Now, Awni is facing the same peril as one of her ancestors. And if she perishes like her ancestor did, all of Artica will pay the price. Can Brent, returned to his own world, somehow find his way back and save her before all is lost?



8 comments:

MuseItUp Publishing said...

First, we're thrilled to have a mom and daughter team at the Muse. Second, I agree with you...Delilah churns out really amazing covers.

And lastly, The Lighthouse edits were superb and that's the reason for the fast acceptance. You did amazing. And Frozen needed nothing major to be changed because you hit it on the nail the first time arouond. Kudos.

Lin said...

I can't agree with you more, Lea. I am lucky enough to get to sit on the edge of my sit, shaking my hands, pleading with Kat to please, please, please, hurry and write the next chapter, because I have to read it cliff hanging chapter by cliff hanging chapter.

Not normally a devotee of the cliff hanger methodology, I cannot break free of the magic Kat so easily and craftily weaves. I have tried as I wait each new chapter, to guess where she will take her story next and always come up wrong in a huge way.

Now I know many of you are thinking...she's Kat's Mom, how objective can she be?

Well here's how objective I can be...Kat likes to sing...once upon a time she was in show choir, and yes, back then she COULD sing...but every time she sings now, I have to run for the gauze quickly and stuff both my ears or suffer massive blood loss from the damage her singing inflicts upon my abused inner ears.

Love you Kat, but please, please, please, leave the singing to the cats.

Unknown said...

I sing as well as you do.:-)

Cellophane Queen said...

That is cool! Almost makes me wish I had a daughter. However, my grand-d writes, so maybe in a couple of years...

Congrats on the contracts for both of you.

Rhobin said...

Both books have intriguing blurbs and great covers sure to attract readers.

Karen McGrath said...

Great interview, Kat! Best wishes with your stories!

Unknown said...

LOL Marva.

Thanks Rhobin. Delilah does amazing work. She designed both covers and I'm thrilled with them.

Thank you Karen. You're a sweetheart.

Sara Durham Writer ~ Author said...

Kat I love lighthouses! And for a setting of a ghost story...perfect! Can't wait to read both! Congratulations!

Sara