Sunday, May 30, 2010

Welcome, Rosina Scott

1: Thank you so much for being here, Rosina. First up is the obligatory question. When did you first begin writing?


I first began writing when I was very young, I’d say I must have been about 6 or 7. So I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember.

2: What inspired you to write?

I think it was all the fantastical movies and TV shows I used to watch as a child. I always knew I wanted to write horror stories and things like that, however that has changed genre now as I’ve grown up but I still like a good horror story.

3: What do you like the most and least about writing?

The thing I like most about writing is being able to create new characters and worlds that allow me to take my readers on a journey.

The thing I like least about writing is the editing stage and the deadlines. The added pressure these stages put you under as a write can make or break you as you work towards your final draft and the point where you send it off to the publishers.

4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing?

When I’m not writing I enjoy listening to music from some of my favorite artists, currently that includes the as yet unsigned but brilliant Blue Gillespie from Newport in Wales. John Barrowman, Snow Patrol & Daughtry.

I actively watch a lot of science fiction and American TV shows. Including but not limited to Dr Who, Torchwood, Supernatural, Criminal Minds and Syfy’s Ghost Hunters.

I also enjoy live theatre and attend it as often as I am able not living locally to the West End its not as often as I would like.

5: Which authors do you like to read?

I enjoy reading Ally Blue, James Herbert, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Josh Lanyon amongst other.

6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?

I’m generally a very quite and shy person until you get to know me.

I’ve met my acting idol John Barrowman, who I’ve been a fan of since I was about 12 or 13 and at secondary school.

7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.

The Razor’s Kiss is a short story about Adam and Elliot who are lovers. They have been separated for a while and when they’re reunited they make the fantasy they have shared during a phone call a reality. The fantasies of having Adam sensually shave Elliot.The story can be found at http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com

8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?

Always follow your dreams and write what it is that you want to write, not what you think the in thing is, because what’s in right now may not be by the time you’ve finished your manuscript.

Stories tend to flow better when you’re writing what you’re passionate about and not what you’re being pigeon-holed into writing because someone has said it’s cool or in.

Make sure you have someone check over your work and give honest feedback. If you can have more than one person check your work and incorporate what is said where you think it’s necessary without loosing what is the essence of your story. Don’t be afraid to take advice and if more than one person points out the same thing aren’t working then it’s probably true.

If at first you don’t succeed, keep trying because if I had stopped writing when I was first rejected by a publisher when I was in my teens I certainly wouldn’t be here now.

9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?

In appearances I do, I see people in the street, on TV and magazines that I find attractive or interesting and come up with different lives and tales, slotting them into that person’s physical bodies and ultimately making them my own characters.

10: Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?

My ideas can come from absolutely anywhere; it could be a throwaway line in a conversation. Something I’ve seen in a magazine or just a general idea that pops up during a dream at night.

The idea for The Razor’s Kiss came about when a friend recommended I take part in an open call for a submission to Dreamspinner Press for a kinky anthology.

I assumed all the submissions would be about bondage and various BDSM practices and thought I would enter something a little different.

So the idea then sparked from there when I saw a photograph of an attractive shirtless guy, with a hairy chest combined with the constant advertisements for razors and an ad for Sweeney Todd.

It went to I wonder what he’d look like with a shaved chest and would he get off on having another guy shave him.

11: What are you currently working on?

I’m working on a couple of things actually. I’m working on a Cinderella style story and a ghost story.

12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?

It’s not uncommon for me to be seen around Cardiff or other places in the UK dressed as characters from Dr Who and Torchwood with friends.







No comments: