Sunday, December 25, 2011

For Unto Us A Child is Born

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.  Isaiah 9:6 

I remember singing this song in the choir many years ago.I miss those days. Life was simpler then, although I didn't think so at the time.  My children were still young, in school and I worked as School Secretary. Life was good. Christmas was exciting. It was fun waking up Christmas morning and watching their faces as they unwrapped the gifts. We had a system. I didn't want them to just tear into them. It would be over too soon. So we started with the youngest first and with each gift the next youngest opened one first. I made sure there was enough to go around so each child had a turn at being first.

I loved waking up, often before the kids. I'd put on the coffee and wake them each in turn, telling them Santa had come. Yes, we still believe in Santa. How could we not. It's not the same now, hasn't been for years. The kids grew up and married, have their own children and made thier own life. Now they have the pleasure of watching their own children.
For many years now, it's been just my husband and me. Not quite the same excitment. We've started to open our gifts on Christmas Eve when we got home from celebrating with my brohers and sisters. It was usually past midnight, so technically Christmas.
But the excitement of waking on Christmas morning just wasn't there. I have to wait until later in the day to watch the excited faces of my grandchildren. The hours seemed to drag by. I guess I'm still lke a child with the excitement of Christmas. Besides, I love spending time with my family. I'm not used to being alone. I went from a family of eight (a brother and sister were still at home when I got married) to eventually having six children of my own. Obviously, it was a noisy, exciting household and Christmas was a special time. It was my mother's favorite holiday and I followed in her traditions. We started the holiday right after Thanksgiving with decorations, Christmas music and baking. It was a busy time of year.  I wasn't used to living in a quiet house, especially around the hoilidays. 
Finally, the hour came for the kids to come over.  I loved the excitement of everyone, especially the kids. We still didn't let them tear into their gifts. It's so much fun to watch each individual child.
This year, we're doing something different. We're going to my son's for breakfast with my oldest daughter who's children have left the nest. This will be her first Christmas with no children in their house. I remember that feeling. So we're sharing the morning with my son, who wasn't blessed with children.
It won't be the same as when they were young, but at least I have something more to look forward to.
No Christmas morning will never be the same, but the reason for the day will always remain.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11
I wish everyone a blessed and Merry Christmas.

No comments: