Friday, October 22, 2010

Welcome, Sameena Bachmeier

Thank you so much for being here, Sam do you write? Historical Fiction, Young Adult.

2: How long have you been writing? I have always loved to write since I was a child. Recently in the past four years, I really began diving into writing and sending out submissions like crazy!

3: What do you like the most and least about writing? I love getting lost in the stories and the characters as I write. It's such relaxing creative outlet for me, like a zone I can get obsessed in. I least like edits. Thank God for editors!

4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing? I have three school age children so really anything from games to movies as a family with my husband as well and I'm a happy girl. We love to camp and fish as a family as well.

5: Which authors do you like to read? Roald Dahl since a young age has been and remained an all time favorite, now I read his books with my children. Also I enjoy Shel Silverstein a great deal.

6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you? I am dedicated in everything in my life. Dedicated to being the best mother, wife, daughter, auntie, friend, writer I can possibly be in my life.

7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it? Banyan is a historical fiction novella.

It is a tale about a teen named Kannie Irnest. She had the picture perfect life as a child until her father left her and her mother alone. It wasn't long before the world as she knew it began unraveling and creating a web of misery around her. Her mother was no longer the loving mother she knew, she had become bitter by the lonely days and Kannie sank into a depression. The only joy Kannie seemed to find was with her friend Kristopher. They were like two peas in a pod since a young age and when they were together it was as if the world around them didn't matter. Mysteriously one day on Kannie's way to school she is given a Banyan tree stick. She learns that it is a wishing stick. Although skeptical, Kannie is desperate to experience a happy life and she wishes on the Banyan stick to be anywhere but in that moment in her life. She awakens to everyday thereafter to a different historical event that lead her to experiences, places and people she had only heard about in books. The journey she embarks on teaches her to believe in herself, forgive others and appreciate the path that is laid out in front of her. She also now, must find her way back home.
8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors? Take all rejections as simply not the right fit, nothing more. Keep sending submissions no matter what, I have hundreds of rejections and before some of the submissions finally found a home. Persistence is the key!

9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?

For the particular book, Banyan I did. I actually spent a great deal of time researching historical events and people involved and then threw in my spin and characters intertwined within the historical fiction story.

10: How did you come up with the idea for this book? I don't really brain storm in any way, I just have an idea or thought pop into my head and begin writing off of that one thought.

11: What are you currently working on?

I am currently sending out submissions for another children’s picture book I have written. I also am beginning my research for Banyan 2.



12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you? Banyan is set for release August 2011 it will be my first YA, novella publication.

13.Where can we find you? Website? Blog?

Sameena Bachmeier on Facebook & www.sameenassphere.com is a link solely dedicated to my children's picture book entitled Fairy Tales for Tucking in set to release January 2011. Also on Museitup's website under the authors section you can also find me.

________________________________________


UNEDITED- Banyan excerpt date of release Aug 2011

Kannie was taken to the dining quarters of the ship. Her and colonel Montgomery sat around a wooden table and awaited the cook to come dish them out. As they sat Kannie was admiring his rifle that hung gallantly around his chest.

“You like this?” He asked, pointing this rifle. He held it up towards her so she could have better look. “This is my baby. It's a musket rifle.” Kannie reached out and ran her fingers along the grooves that spiraled down the length of the entire rifle. “The groves create the mini balls that I load to spin, it makes them bullets go faster and shoot further than normal.” Kannie smiled at him in understanding.

The cook entered the dining room from the kitchen doors, which when opened alluded a heavenly smell. The cook bowed as he placed two cups of in front of each of them. “Beef Alamode in a musket.” he stated waving his chubby hand over the cup,

“Tea to quench your thirst too of course.” Kannie smelled the steam coming from her musket. She had never smelt meat so divine. Her stomach growled again with anticipation. It smelt heavenly compared to last nights hamburger surprise. “Thank you so much.” she nodded at the cook. “You are both very welcome. Enjoy.”

And with that the cook hurried back off to the kitchen. “So, this is a musket?” Kannie asked Colonel Montgomery as they began to eat. “You must have hit your head or something. Of course that's musket. We use it for drinks, cooking, and as a bucket even. Don't tell me you've never seen one of these?” he chuckled. “Oh, yeah, of course.” Kannie quickly played along, not wanting to look like a total idiot. “I think you're right, I must have hit my head or something.” wanting to change the subject she decided to ask him more about Harriet Tubman.

“So, Harriet. Can you tell me a bit more about her?” He continued to eat as he answered her, dribbling his Beef Alamode into his beard. “I can tell you what I know. I think she was born as a slave around 1820 in Bucktown, Maryland. She managed to escape from slavery around 1849. She worked as a conductor for the underground railroad you know. She did about nineteen trips.” Kannie continued to eat as she listened.

“What was the underground railroad.” questioned Kannie as Colonel Montgomery squished his thick eyebrows together forming one. “You sure you're alright? You really don't know about the underground railroad?” Kannie shook her head.

“Well.” he began “The underground railroad runs from South America you know, to North America. The slaves ride to escape from slavery, it's a dangerous ride but worth it for freedom. Some even go on all the way to Canada.”

Kannie was amazed. All this was really going on. Why hadn't she heard of this before. She'd studied history in school but it was never this interesting. Suddenly, the colonel Montgomery stopped eating. He scratched at his his profusely. “Damn lice.” he grumbled. “Where's my gosh darn haversack?” he reach down to the ground and grabbed a pouch that he had sat down on the ground next to him. He carried that pouch where ever he went.

He spoke aloud as he rifled through it pulling out miscellaneous items as he set them on the table. “Praise the Lord God Almighty for my trusty housewife.” he giggled to himself as he set on the table what appeared to be a sewing kit. 'Ah ha, here it is!” He smiled proudly as he pulled out a comb and began to comb his hair.

Kannie was suddenly not hungry anymore. She sat repulsed, suddenly questioning the sanitation of the table she was dining on as she watched him comb the lice out of his hair at the table. Suddenly a man rattled his was into the dining room. “I have to report sir.” he said looking at the colonel. “Go on” allowed colonel Montgomery, still combing away.

“We are near destination, and have picked off many confederate ships already. Also we have spotted a temporary platoon bridge that my just be our key to passage.” “That is perfect! Inform Mrs. Tubman at once!.” ordered colonel Montgomery.







3 comments:

Karen McGrath said...

Great interview, Sameena! :)

Charlie said...

Welcome Sam. Great interview. Enjoyed getting to know more about you and your stories.
C.K. Volnek

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Sameema
I like your dedication,'to being the best' you can be. That is a terrific comment.
Good luck with Banyan!