Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The sights and sounds of the season.

Fall is just around the corner. Mother nature will put on her usual  colorful display. Orange, rust, reds, browns,and golds mixed in with various shades of green will sparkle in the sun and dominate our landscapes . Cooler temps will erase the humid heat of summer. Fresh mowed grass clippings mixed with fallen leaves, and creating an aroma all their own, will mingle with the scent of wood burning in fireplaces to remove the chill. 
Wreaths made of dried grasses and gourds will adorn doors, while pumpkins, corn stalks, and scare crows will line the walks. Soon Halloween decorations will appear. 
I always feel melancholy this time of year. Although I love the beautiful colors of Fall, it's a sad time for me. I'm not sure why, I've been like that ever since I could remember. Maybe it had to do with going back to school and later sending my kids back. Summer fun was over.  I hated the early bedtimes and schedules.  And, soon to follow will be barren trees, dead plants and gardens gone to rot.  Gone are the family picnics and other outdoor activities. Gone the quiet walks in the woods, fires in back yard, and the grandkids swinging on the tire swing.

But there's always hope. Football parties with homemade chili and the holidays will be upon us before we know it. Families will gather once again, but inside this time, for feasts  fit for a king. 


Before we know it, the ground will turn white with fresh fallen snow. I love the first snow glistening in the sun, sparkling like diamonds. In fact, I look forward to it.


 Once again the grandkids will be here, sliding down the small hill on their sleds or snowboards, making snow angels and building snowmen. The aroma of chili cooking on the stove, apple pies baking in the oven emanate from the kitchen. Ah, yes, I enjoy those first snowfalls.
All too soon, January bursts upon us and mother nature visits us with blowing winds and blizzards. Roads become impassable. What once looked like a beautiful blanket of snow, now becomes a hindrance, keeping us prisoners in our homes. The temperatures dip to well below freezing and often into the single digits, sending the chill factor below zero. Furnaces work overtime and smoke bellows from the chimneys.
Even now,  I shiver  to think of it. It's the worst time of winter. 
Our thoughts will turn to spring as we wade through the knee-deep snow, anxious for the flowers, green leaves on the trees, and warmer weather.
Spring is my favorite time of year. To me, it's a happy time. A time of new life, new beginnings. Temperatures rise and we shed our winter coats, go outside in shirtsleeves, and, praise God, open the windows. The air smells fresher and the grass turns green. Pastel colors emerge from the ground as tulips, crocuses, and daffodils peek their heads through. Ah, yes, summer will be upon us again before we know it.

9 comments:

Susan Royal said...

I love the changing of the seasons, especially from summer to fall. The smell of woodsmoke, crisp snap of the cooler air, dry leaves scuttling across the road. Makes me want to brew up a cup of coffee and put on a pot of homemade soup.

Diana DeCameron said...

I also look forward to the change of season even though it means I must return to school and resume a "scheduled" existence. Sweater weather is my favorite time of the year. Plus, there's always a festival of one kind or another to visit on the weekends. Mmmmmmmm mmmmm … homemade apple dumplings with ice cream??? Yeah ... I love fall.

Roseanne Dowell said...

You both made me hungry Homemade soup sounds delicious and so does homemade apple dumplings and ice cream.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Lovely post, Roseanne. I recently blogged about the joys of autumn (fall) which is my favourite season. You reminded me of some of the reasons why! I quite like winter too, but I agree that it's then wonderful to know that spring is coming again.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great post, although we are enjoying the change of season to SPRING!!! Beautiful in so many other ways. The warmth.. ahh. Finally we are getting some sunshine and heat.
In a few weeks we will be complaining, and I will return here to chill out!!!

J.Q. Rose said...

Melancholy is exactly how I feel in the fall. Perhaps today more so with the camping trip over and kids back to school--let down time. It is a gorgeous fall day here and the trees are already turning. But in my case it isn't a signal to get out the winter coats, gloves, and boots. It's to start packing up to head for the Florida sunshine.

gail roughton branan said...

I love your home, Ro! Oddly enough, I'm reversed. Fall is my favorite season and spring makes me melancholy. But there's great beauty in all of them.

Kat Fort said...

When Fall hits I'm thinking of hockey, hockey, hockey!!! :)

DMS said...

Great post! I love the fall- but I can see how it can be melancholy as well. I wish I could add a week to all of the seasons, except winter- which is where I would get those other weeks for spring, summer, and fall. In CT, where I live, winter seems to be the longest- and I'd like it to be the shortest.

~Jess