Friday, August 26, 2022

Where Did Summer Go?

 I know technically summer isn't over, but hey, the kids are back in school. To me, that always meant summer was over. It used to be they went back after Labor Day. It seems they go back earlier every year. 

Why should that bother me? I mean, I don't have school-age kids, heck, I only have two school-age grandkids. 

Yet for some reason I feel sad about it every year. Maybe it's because I remember my own going back. I hated getting back to the routine of bedtime earlier, especially as it was still light outside. All summer they got to stay up late, played outside until 9:00 and sometimes later. Getting them to settle down was no easy task, but that wasn't the only reason. Nope, it was fun letting them stay up late and watching them play outside. I loved it. 

And, of course, I knew what was to come. My least favorite time of year, my least favorite season. I was okay until January. It wasn't terribly cold in November and December (at least not usually, although there were a few years). I don't mind the snow. I actually think it's pretty. I just don't like driving in it.  Although most times, the road crews are pretty good about keeping it clear. But those big snowfalls when you can't even get out of the garage without shoveling, well, suffice it to say, I'm not crazy about them. 

There was a time, in my younger years, I actually loved snowstorms. Loved going out and shoveling and playing with the kids building snowmen and making snow angels. But those days are long past. These old bones have trouble shoveling nowadays. Praise God, I have a nephew who does it for a living, and the great guy that he takes mercy on me and plows our drive. 

I have no desire to flee south for the winter, even if I could afford it. Nope, I love Ohio, love being near my family especially. So, I'll live with it and look forward to next spring and summer. At my age the time goes pretty quickly, so it'll be here before I know it. Until then, I'll continue to wonder, where did summer go?



2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

Oh, but before winter, we get fall! I don't hate winter, but I stay inside and watch it these days. :-) Nice post.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks for the comment Liz, Yes before winter is the Fall a beautiful time of year with all the colors. I also stay inside most of winter and just watch.