Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Visit from J.Q. Rose and Lauren Staab


Hi Roseanne. Hello Readers.

I’m sorry I can’t be with you at the blog today because I need to run out to buy Halloween candy for about the fourth time this year. Somehow, no matter where I hide the candy, it disappears before
Halloween.

I’ll be in a mess of pumpkin guts and seeds today as I carve those jack-o-lanterns for Saturday night. Fortunately Lauren Staab, the main character in my new mystery/romance, Deadly Undertaking, volunteered to take my place.  Books We Love just released the e-book this month. I’m so excited to have Lauren introduce the story to you on Roseanne’s blog and kick-off the book launch. Thanks so much, Roseanne.

No trick here, but certainly a treat for me to have Roseanne visiting my blog today. Because Roseanne is working on her Halloween costume, her character, Beatrice Lulu, from her new e-book. All’s Well That Ends Well, jumped at the opportunity to get her nose into my blog. You’re invited to come on over to the J.Q. Rose blog after visiting here. Thank you.
Link to J.Q. Rose blog http://www.jqrose.com/2015/10/meet-roseanne-dowells-character.html

Now, here’s Lauren’s story:

No waaaay. No way did I ever imagine I would be suspected of killing a man. And in my own home
town of Mayfield, Michigan! Everybody knows me in my small town where I grew up. Everybody knows my family too because my dad’s the funeral director in town. Well, yes there’s Swartz Funeral Home, but they don’t do good work. My dad’s reputation is flawless, known for his integrity, caring, and putting out bodies that look better dead than they did alive.

Oh, excuse me, I should introduce myself. My name is Lauren Staab. My dad is Jensen Staab, owner of the Staab and Blood Funeral Home. He’s the one who found the dead man in our garage. He was lying sprawled out between the funeral coach and our black SUV we use for delivering flowers to the cemetery. Dad yelled at me to call 9-1-1. I wish I’d just called the number and never raced out to the garage to see the crime scene. I can’t erase the grisly view from my brain.

When I called 9-1-1 and told the operator the emergency was at Staab and Blood Funeral Home, she accused me of making a prank call after I said, “There’s a dead body in our garage.”

That was only the beginning of the most horrific time in my life, but also the most wonderful time in my life. At the same time my father, brother, and I were suspects in the murder, I re-connected with Gary Applegate. Gary was always there for me when I was in high school helping me with my trigonometry homework. He had just returned to Mayfield, too and joined the police department. I thought we could team up to find the killer, but he’d have none of that. We did get together for other reasons though, and that led to another kind of partnership, for life.

Henry, the shadow man, who regularly visited me, whether I wanted him to or not, knew all along that Gary and I were meant for each other. I hate to admit he was right. I mean, really, would you take love advice from a ghost?
# # #
Back of the Book: Deadly Undertaking by J.Q. Rose
Lauren Staab knew there would be dead bodies around when she returned home. After all, her family is in the funeral business, Staab and Blood Funeral Home. Still, finding an extra body on the floor of the garage between the hearse and the flower car shocked her. Lauren’s plan to return to her hometown to help care for her mother and keep the books for the funeral home suddenly turns upside down in a struggle to prove she and her family are not guilty of murdering the man. But will the real killer return for her, her dad, her brother? Her mother’s secrets, a killer, a handsome policeman, and a shadow man muddle up her intention to have a simple life. Welcome home, Lauren!

Buy Links
Books We Love has a BOGO special going on right now for a a limited time. Buy one book, and get another one of the same price or less for FREE.

About J.Q.
After writing feature articles in magazines, newspapers, and online magazines for over fifteen years, J.Q. Rose entered the world of fiction. Her published mysteries are Sunshine Boulevard, Coda to Murder, and Deadly Undertaking. Blogging, photography, Pegs and Jokers board games, and travel are the things that keep her out of trouble. She and her husband, Gardener Ted spend winters in Florida and summers up north camping and hunting toads, frogs, and salamanders with her four grandsons and granddaughter.

Connect with J.Q. Rose online at:
J.Q. Rose blog http://www.jqrose.com/
J. Q.  Rose Amazon Author Page http://tinyurl.com/aeuv4m4












3 comments:

J.Q. Rose said...

Hi Roseanne, Thanks for having me, er Lauren, today. It's always a "treat" to swap blogs with you. Looking forward to visiting with everyone here and on the J.Q. Rose blog too.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks for joining me today. I can say I read this book and loved it. Great mystery.

Marsha said...

Great post, JQ. Lauren certainly has some problems on her plate. IT will be fun reading how she handles it all. I'll share. :)