Friday, April 6, 2012

Welcome, Janet Lane Walters

Thank you so much for being here, Janet Lane Walters


First up is the obligatory question. When did you first begin writing?
If you're talking about creating stories, 1968 was the first time I became serious about writing. During my teens, I began a lot of stories and left them in a desk drawer. My mother threw them away. She thought story writing wasn't a good career choice. Perhaps she was right them, since I didn't know what I was doing. A lot of reading of books on writing helped me find the way to put down those stories bouncing about in my head.


2: What inspired you to write?

Was there an inspiration? I'm not sure since I was a reader from an early age. I think this is kind of an extension of my reading. I remember that year I had pneumonia and my sister-in-law sent me a bag of nurse romances. Since I was a nurse, I read them with interest and disgust. Few of the people writing them had any idea about medicine or what a nurse does. That was when I decided I could write one and I did. I had been dabbling in short stories before then.
3: What do you like the most and least about writing?
Funny thing is that I don't think there's much about writing I don't like. I often find the rough draft hard going at times but I plug along. I do love revision and making the story as good as I can. I look on writing as fun even during those times when things aren't flowing smoothly. I love creating people both good an bad people and finding what motivates them to act.


4: What do you for fun and relaxation when not writing?

First of all, I read and I re-read. Another thing I do when relaxing is spending time with my grandchildren, Seven of them. Three live nearby and are adopted from China. Four live in Florida and are the children of our adopted biracial daughter. I also like to clean and wax floors. I jokingly tell people my hobby is cleaning house since that's what one does in their spare time.


5: Which authors do you like to read?
Authors - just about anyone who writes I'll read at least once. I'm more into genres, like mysteries, fantasy and romance. As far as favorites I really can't name just a few. I've read all of Tolstoy, Jane Austin to mention a few older writers. Lately I've been reading electronic authors, many of them are critique partners.


6: What’s the one thing you’d most like people to know about you?

What an interesting question. Maybe that I use Astrology to cast my characters. I look at their Sun, Moon and Rising sign.


7: Tell me about your current novel, where I can find it and your website/blog.

My current novel. Actually I have a lot of novels out there and mentioning just one would be hard. My books can be found at Kindle, Nook, and other places like this. My blog is http://wwweclecticwriter.blogspot.com/ and for a look at my many books, try this site. This is an extensive look. http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/kswiesner/jewels10.html


8: Do you have any tips for aspiring authors?

Persistence pays. Another thing is to find a good critique group. Having more than one person hear what you are writing is important.
9: Do you base your characters on real-life people?
Now I come to a yes and no. I often take a trait or two from a person I know plus a bit of myself. There's no one who has become a character in my stories.


10: Where do you get your ideas and what inspired you to write this book?
Ideas are all around. Sometimes something I read triggers a story. Sometimes the idea is just there. I have this wild imagination. My most recent release, February was The Chosen of Horu and the inspiration for this comes from my interest in ancient Egypt. This is a second in a trilogy. The Warrior of Bast was the first. I am using an alternate Egypt, though people often call this a time travel. It's not the ancient Egypt we know because I wanted camels and on the Discovery Channel I learned there weren't any camels in the time period I had selected for the stories.

11: What are you currently working on?

 At present I'm working on a novella that is spicy and the idea came because I needed another story in a series. I am also plotting a new mystery featuring Katherine Miller. The inspiration for this one came from the previous books because of her developing love match with an old friend. This is her wedding. I needed to find a way to have her leave her reception because a murder called. This was triggered by her love of mint teas and helping a friend. deal with a micro-manager's murder. Perhaps based on micro-managers I have observed.


12. Is there anything else you’d like us to know about you?
I often give away print copies of my books on my blog. I also enjoy hearing from readers. Recently got a letter from Canada from a reader thanking me for sending her a print book.

1 comment:

Janet Lane Walters said...

Roseanne, Thanks for having me. I kind of spaced out and forgot I was here on Friday.